Musculoskeletal and orthopedic problems are frequently treated non-surgically. New Jersey Brain and Spine’s physical medicine and rehabilitation specialists, Drs. Chirichella and Schmaus, specialize in using non-surgical methods to reduce pain and restore function. They treat neck and back pain as well as sports injuries, shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee conditions.
Their integrated approach includes a thorough initial assessment, imaging as needed, physical therapy, home exercise, various types of injections, and non-opioid medication management. They work closely with a team of neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons in the unlikely case that surgery is required.
Our Pain Management and Physiatry Center Experts
We bring together the best medical minds to care for you
I hope to be able to empower patients in their rehabilitation and help them achieve a better quality of life. Pain does not have to interfere with daily activities.
- Paul S. Chirichella, MD
Conditions and Treatments
Conditions treated include:
- Neck and back pain due to pinched nerves, sciatica, herniated discs, spinal stenosis, and facet arthritis
- Sports related conditions
- Shoulder pain due to arthritis, rotator cuff injuries, impingement and frozen shoulder
- Elbow pain due to tennis elbow, golfers elbow, and tendinitis
- Hip pain due to bursitis, tendinitis and arthritis
- Knee pain due to meniscal tears, ligament tears, arthritis and patella knee cap syndromes
- Wrist pain and hand pain due to carpal tunnel syndrome, tendinitis and trigger fingers
Treatment and testing methods we employ:
- In-office X-ray and musculoskeletal ultrasound
- Non-pharmaceutical pain management, including nerve blocks, epidural injections, facet injections, sacroiliac injections, and radio frequency nerve ablation
- Ultrasound guided injections
- Trigger point injections
- EMG nerve testing for pinched nerves and carpal tunnel syndrome
- “Gel” hyaluronic acid injections for knee arthritis
- Physical therapy on our premises