At our Physiatry Center, musculoskeletal and orthopedic problems are frequently treated non-surgically. New Jersey Brain and Spine’s physical medicine and rehabilitation specialists, Dr. Chirichella and Dr. Schmaus, specialize in using non-surgical methods to reduce pain and restore function. They treat neck and back pain as well as sports injuries, shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee conditions.
Their integrated approach includes a thorough initial assessment, imaging as needed, physical therapy, home exercise, various types of injections, and non-opioid medication management. They work closely with a team of neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons in the unlikely case that surgery is required.
I hope to be able to empower patients in their rehabilitation and help them achieve a better quality of life. Pain does not have to interfere with daily activities.
- Paul S. Chirichella, MD
Conditions and Treatments
Conditions treated include:
- Neck and back pain due to pinched nerves, sciatica, herniated discs, spinal stenosis, and facet arthritis
- Sports related conditions
- Shoulder pain due to arthritis, rotator cuff injuries, impingement and frozen shoulder
- Elbow pain due to tennis elbow, golfers elbow, and tendinitis
- Hip pain due to bursitis, tendinitis and arthritis
- Knee pain due to meniscal tears, ligament tears, arthritis and patella knee cap syndromes
- Wrist pain and hand pain due to carpal tunnel syndrome, tendinitis and trigger fingers
Treatment and testing methods we employ:
- In-office X-ray and musculoskeletal ultrasound
- Non-pharmaceutical pain management, including nerve blocks, epidural injections, facet injections, sacroiliac injections, and radio frequency nerve ablation
- Ultrasound guided injections
- Trigger point injections
- EMG nerve testing for pinched nerves and carpal tunnel syndrome
- “Gel” hyaluronic acid injections for knee arthritis
- Physical therapy on our premises